Wednesday, July 10, 2013

~ ~ Hangul Experience ~ ~ Part 1

This entry will cover my Exchange Student Program in Korea last August 31, 2010- February 26, 2011.  This entry will be divided in several parts, just to avoid a very long blog. I had the greatest experience so far since I left Philippines to participate and be part of this amazing and once in a lifetime opportunity. The experience was surely irreplaceable and life-changing at the same time. I will be posting few pictures of my experience there together with some International students as well as my fellow Lasallian students who also participated in the program. There are 8 of us who was accepted in the program. Six (6) for Chungbok University for 6 months, one (1) for Daegu University for 1 year, and yours truly for Sun Moon University for 6 months as well. 





Applying for the Exchange Student Program for Korea last June 2010 wasn't really one of my plans rather want or anything. It's just that, my sister used to work at school and she belonged to the Central for International External Linkages which accepts, welcomes, and caters every foreign students that visits the University of St. La Salle for either cultural or educational purposes. It was such a blessing in disguise when she urged me to apply for two (2) Universities in  South Korea. At first, I really don't feel like applying for it because I thought the place was just like China or something like that. My sister then again encouraged me to just try and I might be qualified for the program. 

One afternoon, when I was checking my email for any interesting mails, as I scrolled down, I saw an email regarding my ESP application. I got excited, clicked the email and started reading it. I felt the surge of electricity all throughout my body as I kept on reading it, saying that I am qualified for the Program and that, they will be sending the required documents to be completed before I go and lastly, they gave me the scheduled date of arrival in Korea. I can't contain myself not to be excited so I got off the computer and rushed to Dad for the incredible great news I just received. 

Moving forward.....................

During my preparation for the trip, I felt a little shocked about the reality that this is really happening. I mean, I've never imagined that at the age of 19, I had the chance to travel outside Philippines,not just travel but I will be away from home for 6 months. 

And so, the day arrived where I need to leave Philippines for quite a while. At the August 31, 2010, Cebu Pacific Air took off from my beloved City of Smiles ( Bacolod City) and waited for a couple of inside the International airport. My sister went with me from Bacolod to Manila only and after that, I was on my own. That was the first time I felt a real taste of independence. I loved it, I felt more grown up than before. 

The flight went well, the Korean University paid for my international flight so I had no worries about it. All i had to do was to get in the plane and wait until I arrive to Incheon Airport. The plane touch downed smoothly,  it was at around 5:30pm and I remembered well my sister's instructions. When I got off the plane, everyone was on the rush and I was totally coping with the way they walk. They were so fast! Gosh!  So I got to the custom and had my entry checked.  

I tried to find my way to luggage. This was the first part where I felt alone and helpless but I told myself not to panic and just be strong. I went downstairs where there tons of carousels where everyone's luggage are being placed. Upon reaching the Carousel 11, I was a little surprised because the Airlines name wasn't Asiana Airlines so I asked the one in-charge on where I can find the Asiana Airlines. That day was so stressful because from carousel 11, I have to walk through from there to carousel 32 where I could find my luggage. I felt relieved when I saw the board sign and asked if where I could find my luggage, so they assisted me and finally, I got my luggage, pushed my cart and went to the nearest gate I could find. Now, this was the most challenging part. I need to find the person that was supposed to pick me up. My eyes were about to be teary when I remembered that if this thing would happen, so I quickly went to reception area and had my manager's name paged. I prayed to God that He will help me with this, after a few minutes, someone went to the reception area, I approached him, and thank God, it was him. So he ushered me to meet the other exchange students. A little embarrassed as I am, I was the last one to complete the group. We were four (4)  in the group and two (2) from the University, one from Sri Lanka and two from Taiwan (one girl and one boy). We were introduced to each other and head off to the car. From Incheon Airport, we have to  travel for 1-2 hours to reach the school, had our stop to have our dinner.  I was so hungry and the only korean food that I'm familiar with was Bibimbap, so I ordered Bibimbap, the Korean version was totally spicy (since I'm not a spicy eating type of person, so it was a little bit challenging for me), I had no choice but to eat a few of  Bibimbap and finished it with just a cup of water. The travel was really tiring and then, Voila, I saw the entrance of the University. I forgot to mention that the University is situated in Asan-si, Chungcheongnamdo Province, 1-2hrs. away from Seoul. It was night time so I can't see the whole campus that clearly, plus, I'm really tired and I need to take a rest. We arrived to the International Dormitory where I had 3 other roommates which means, I had to deal with 3 different personalities. The two are English speaking Koreans and the other one was from Brunei, she was actually a Bruneian-Chinese, namely as Nora, Nacasia, and Brenda.Upon arriving to my new dorm and after being introduced to my new roomies, I felt the surged of tiredness coursing through my body. The room was consist of four working tables, a plug, for each students, an air-con, heater, a direct outlet for internet connection, and two wooden double decks, mine was located at the upper part of the bed. I have to sleep in a mattress with only a bed sheet, everything should be provided by myself, so it includes almost everything, from bed sheet, pillows, comforter, to extention  cords and internet wires. I felt helpless, all I wanted to do that evening was to turn on my laptop, log in to skype and talk to my family, I wanted to let them know that it was a tiring day for me but I had no choice, my roomie Brenda helped me and borrowed a comforter from the Ahjussi (In charged with the  Dormitory) which is a sturdy graying man and stout lend me the comforter just for the night.  I eventually climbed up to bed, set my earphones into  place and fell asleep...... The next day was a Campus Tour Day  for me and my fellow exchange students....... 



Proceed to Hangul Experience Part 2 

:)

No comments :

Post a Comment